Battery maintenance for solar panel systems is an easy way to maintain reliable service and extend equipment lifespan.
Solar panel power arrangements are practically maintenance free…practically. We recommend an inspection routine at least annually – to help intercept problems before they happen and prolong the life of the battery.
- Batteries should be cleaned with clean water. If neutralizing is required, use a mixture of baking soda and water. IUse clean water to remove any baking soda residue. NEVER use solvents to clean battery(ies).
- Conduct a visual inspection of the batteries, checking for corrosion, connections and general condition.
- Record battery voltage.
- Record charger voltage.
- Record ambient temperature.
- Record battery ohmic readings
- Record all terminal connection resistances. If any readings are greater than 20% from initial readings, retorque the connection and recheck. If it remains high, clean contact surface and test again.